This Plantain pizza crust is simply amazing! Super easy to make. Gluten and grain free! Plantains may be hard to come by but when you can find them this recipe is a must!
- Parchment Paper
- Large baking sheet or pizza stone
- Vitamix or high speed blender
- 2 Small bowls
- Large mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon and spatula
Ingredients: Plantain Pizza Crust
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tsp raw honey- buy local!
- ¼ Cup warm water
- 2 Green plantains
- ½ Cup arrowroot flour
- 3 TBSP coconut flour
- 1 tsp Himalayan sea salt
- 1 Pastured free range egg- buy local
- 1 TBSP coconut oil (melted)
- 1 TBSP unpasteurized apple cider vinegar
- Organic pizza sauce (store-bought or homemade)
- Raw goat cheese (or 100% grass-fed cows cheese)
- Spinach (or I used arugula)
- Fresh (or I sautéed onions and peppers)
- Bacon, grass-fed beef, bison, or chicken (or go meatless and add lots of veggies)
- Really any veggies you like!
- Dried oregano spice and garlic are my favorite spices for this pizza!
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a large baking sheet (or pizza stone) with parchment paper.
- In one of your small bowls spoon the yeast and honey into ¼ cup warm water and let it sit 5 minutes to foam.
- Peel the plantains and put them into a your Vitamix and blend until smooth.
- Scoop the plantain mush into a large mixing bowl and mix in the arrowroot, coconut flour and salt until well combined.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg then add to the large bowl and combine into the dough.
- Using a small sauce pan melt 1 TBSP coconut oil then add to the large bowl and combine.
- Last add in the apple cider vinegar and honey-yeast mixture and mix until a “wet” dough forms
- Dump the dough onto the parchment paper and use a spatula or back of a wooden spoon to spread the dough into a large circle or rectangle (about 1/2 inch thick) and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and increase the heat to 450 degrees. Carefully flip the crust over. I found it easy to do this by placing another piece of parchment paper on top of the crust then carefully flipping it grabbing the sides of the parchment paper.
- Return it to the oven for about 8-10 minutes.
- Add on your toppings of choice and place back into the oven for about 2-3 min (just enough to let the cheese melt)